Welcome to the Dancing Green Lusitanos blog, a small Kent-based stud with a passion for Lusitano horses.

Saturday 23 February 2013

Friday stressage

A day off on Friday (woot!) to take Q to Stilebridge for a couple of Novices.

Firstly <brrrr> completely and utterly TATERS. I could tell Noodal Didn't Wanna. And I couldn't blame her. In fact, I went to fling myself on Sid's mercy by asking if it would be bad if we didn't go in view of the bitter conditions. I was hoping for "of course not darling, you must do as you think best". Instead, he fixed me with a merciless eye and said "it's up to you darling. What you have to remember is what auntie Liz will say if you don't go". We left soon after :)

Q's mane is currently an utter bog brush of thick and randomly growing hair and is, as such, suboptimal for plaiting. In fact, a veritable plaiting nightmare, especially for one such as I who only really knows how to do a running plait. Knowing this, I stopped off at Speedgate on the way home the other night to arm myself with a thinning comb (pink, natch), some Lynn Russell Miracle Plaiting Spray (also pink) and some silicon bands (white). Decided against the bows.

I opted to do battle with it in the stable, having provided him with a net of haylage with carrots secreted within. This turned out to be a good choice as he stood there munching very happily while I fiddled about. The only problem was that after two plaits, my fingers stopped working and I had to hand over to Noodal. Thereafter we handled the task in relays; one to do the plaiting and the other to thaw their red, stiff and frozen fingers in gloves, slipped under his rug for the body warmth. This went well and he was very magnanimous about the thinning operation. I can say that we would certainly not have won any prizes for said plaiting but at least it was done. For his part, he was extremely chilled (possibly quite literally) throughout the preps. Needless to say there was no bathing to be done. Also, he has had a spot of mud fever of late and has had some ointment applied. Ointment which, it turns out, actively resists the application of water for cleaning purposes. We were running rather late so time for niceties (and scrubbing) was strictly limited, so in the end we had to leave, some 30 minutes late, with a certain brownish tinge clinging remorselessly to his pasterns.

We arrived at Stilebridge 30 mins before my first class, our (well my) mounting distress aided by the fact that the swine were running EARLY. Horse things never run early. This is the accepted way of things. Everything starts later and takes longer than anticipated; this we all know. Except, of course, when we are running late. Quick tack up (should have left the bandages) and on board, pausing only to consider the mystery of the missing glove from the show box. Argh. Argh.

I now know that having 10 minutes to warm up an excited stallion whom I have not ridden since Sunday is suboptimal. Those things I normally like to aim for in the warmup, such as working in, attention, a return to some semblance of calm etc were given a only fleeting nod, and then it was time to go in. Precious moments were lost in removing the bandages.

Since we had been to Stilebridge the previous week for a schooling session and Q had sailed past the judge's box without a glance, I was pretty sure the same would be true. And it might have been, had it not been for a crash from within at an inopportune moment. "Sorry!" said the rather owlish face peering out at me from behind the window. We took the opportunity to converse (and for me to apologise) about the missing gloves, the bell rang and off we went.

I had very little to work with, as may be imagined <g>. He felt tense and hurried. This caused a few errors and I was (a) not hopeful and (b) glad we went HC. Was quite pleasantly surprised to get 60%, having been ducked two points for the gloves. I wondered afterwards whether it would have only been one point if I'd worn the one glove.



 Back to the trailer and he stood on it munching haylage quite happily and nickering to his neighbour for the hour or so that Noodal and I whiled away with coffee, cake and learning N39. N39 is not a nice test in terms of symmetry and general learnability but I did learn it. Plus, I borrowed some gloves from a very lovely lady called Ann.

This time went for a 20 min warmup and he was much more settled and attentive, though still on the "busy" side of submissive. I didn't want to overcook him either. Did some nice mediums in the warmup (and some crap ones) and I look forward to the day when we can reproduce those in an actual test. I am unfortunately one of those people whose already modest ability in the saddle has a tendency to desert me when it comes to test riding, although slowly improving.

N39 felt much better and in a moment of madness I even caught myself grinning and enjoying it. The ubiquitous few errors of course and needless to say a rushed trot in place of the mediums but tbh I was very pleased as this felt better in the main and plus it is the first time we have been out when I have managed to remember two tests all by myself.  Also 60%.

In the end we had a great day out. We avoided any gnarly behaviour on account of the lateness and rushing; Q was an exceptionally good lad throughout and much much more relaxed this time, and the cake at Stilebridge is legendary. I do enjoy going there as it is very friendly and it seems to suit us.

No comments:

Post a Comment