Welcome to the Dancing Green Lusitanos blog, a small Kent-based stud with a passion for Lusitano horses.

Thursday 4 April 2013

Schooling doings

Most riders are stronger on one side than the other and for me it is my right side. I always thought this was why Q and I struggle with HP left but Liz, who is stronger to her left, schooled him for me one day last week while I was off with The Eye and found him less responsive on this rein in HP too.

In order to remedy this we have been working on the following exercise: up the 3/4 line shoulder in, circle, shoulder in, then shoulder in, circle, shoulder in, half pass. This has been really useful.

Another thing that has plagued me for ages is maintaining a consistent connection. Classical teaching from Charles de Kunffy, a heavy influence, emphasises the importance of the elbows and particularly in keeping them close to your sides with upper arms perpendicular to the ground to make full use of the lower back inflation so important in maintaining the connection. I am firmly of the two point seat school of thought and find that it is almost impossible with my short arms to maintain this position while having my hands above the horse's withers, yet if I bring my arms forward to achieve this the danger is losing the connection through my lower back and reverting to three point seat. The trick seems to be finding that balance between the two without totally compromising the effectiveness of the lower back. The more collected the horse the easier it is but again with Q as the master of minimalist effort, maintaining impulsion within collection is also a thing. So many variables always to consider and work with. No wonder the ideal dressage rider is one with a comparatively short torso and long limbs!

Also I have been doing some double lungeing with Mr T. It's been a long long time and reminded me of the times we used to go out long reining around the farm back when we just had the two boys in livery. On one particular occasion there was a man leaning against a gate which took us both by surprise: T's response was to unleash a magnificent passage, all big hair and churning buttocks (which I in my position right at his tail had a bird's eye view of that I shall never ever forget), while mine was a cheery "hello!" as we grinned and passaged our way past.

Anyway. Back to the double lungeing. The main reason I wanted to do this was to help him stretch FDO with the contact (albeit contact attached to rings of cavesson) because with side reins he will duck behind the contact, and indeed sometimes when being asked FDO under saddle.

I was quite delighted with his response as he did indeed take the contact forward, down and out but only I noted when I could provide an even connection through both reins and that this involved a kind of pulsing feel to accommodate the movement of his outside hind. Must do more of this, but then also must get some new lunge lines and also do some long reining again as I really enjoy that.

Liz and T are out competing again on Sunday so looking forward to seeing him strut his sexy stuff.





No comments:

Post a Comment